Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Age is on my mind....

AGE - It's on my mind again.  Lately I have tried to embrace age a bit differently knowing its inevitable.  My husband is 7 years older than me and time and time again over the course of our love story I have taken note of how he experiences "AGE" before me and quite honestly at the time it is noticed, it has annoyed me only to realize he gets the last laugh.

For example:  When we first started dating I took note of his hearing on occasion.  I would often think,  "He can't hear me.... he is just shaking his head yes and he has no idea what I just said."  Now granted this has always been noted while screaming kids are in the background with at least one machine or device blaring music at the same time.  Add to that a beeping stove, microwave or clothes dryer.  Simply stated, I took note and possibly even maybe, got a tad frustrated with him.  ONLY to give him the last laugh.  My new favorite word is..... "What?"  I swear only a few years later, I am constantly saying "What" unable to distinguish between words, music, noise, kids and requests.

Another example?  Eyesight.... he can't see, always looking for his glasses (usually on top of his head) only to be followed up by my first pair of readers.  Yes, I said it.  READERS!  My dear friend happily bestowed them on me for my 42nd birthday.  Love that girl!  Not having to actually purchase them helped ease the pain.  I like to think they are stylish fashion accessory. I am currently looking for a fabulous sparkly necklace to hang them from so they are never far from my head.  Ya know, your grandma had one.

Ears, eyesight, flexibility, memory..... it's all on the table

Acceptance of getting older not only comes in physical ways.... yesterday at church my husbands shirt was all untucked and ridiculous.  10 years ago I would have been embarrassed, I would have shot him "The look" with emotional hand signals and exaggerated lip reading that demanded a " fix yourself statement" instead age has mellowed me to accept my husband as is.... because bottom line - he loves me so deeply an untucked shirt is minor in the scheme of things.  I think I am mellowing.  I think it's a good thing.  I think I don't have much of a choice here.... age is happening our kids are growing up and soon my husband will get the perk of the Dunkin Donuts discount.




 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails