Thursday, September 16, 2010

Today is National Step Family Day

Today is National Step Family Day.  A day that mom’s like me look forward to.  As a step-mo I often feel misunderstood, depleted and frantic.  I’ve come to appreciate small victories.  I have also come to know pride, love and a huge joyful heart through my role as step-mo.  I realize not every woman would choose my path.  As a self-declared “control freak” step –mo-ing has been a challenge on many occasions.  I’ve often felt my life isn’t my own.  But it is my journey.  It is my joy and the World's Greatest Husband and I are committed to making this family the best it can be.  I really can’t ask for more than that.

On this day that celebrates the blended family, the crazy life of merging children, history, grief and heartbreak… I encourage you to think of those families trying to make it in the blender… the ones you hear about at school, the ones you see at church, the ones you share a cheer with at the soccer field and with an open heart give them a thumbs up – knowing it isn’t easy. 

When I proudly announced to my children at breakfast, “Hey today is our day, it is National Step Family Day.”  My son looked at me with a confused stare and said… “ but mom, we are just a family.”   

So today, I really can't ask for anything more.  I am right where I am supposed to be....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails