Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sixth Grade Besties...

Giggles, silliness, and sixth grade sleepover fun, that is the stuff that dreams are made of – well not exactly for the mother chaperoning.  It’s not looking good for a restful night.

My daughter (age 11) is hosting her first “real” slumber party and it is non-stop laughter.  Three besties have joined her for night swimming, birthday cupcakes that nearly killed me (a post for another day), presents, goodie bags, music, dancing and movies.  I am not sure there is a bed time… but hey, you only turn 11 once.

It has been one of those nights that has made my heart sing and ache all at the same time. 
It’s hard to believe we are entering sixth grade, middle school heartache, headache and hopefully opportunity are all just days away.  This little summer bonding session is the stuff that memories are made of.  I remember being in sixth grade and giggling over Rick Springfield  and although earlier today my daughter did sing Jessie’s Girl while listening to the new Glee CD,  the tween conversation of today is about Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez… the names and faces have changed, the gossip and giggles remain the same.  Tonight is sort of a right of passage for my daughter… I see the childhood play slowly being replaced by pop music, movies, truth or dare and tween culture.   It’s bitter sweet for me… saying goodbye to  Polly Pockets, Barbie and My 
Little Pony only to replace it with a cell phone, Tiger Beat magazine and Bath and Body Works products simply seems too much to handle right now. 

And a new chapter begins….

2 comments:

Rsanchi said...

This rings so true! We JUST purged the Barbies, My Little Ponies and Polly Pockets last week- were you here? Making room for big girl stuff. My 11yo, the youngest of three girls, is hosting her last theme party(Harry Potter is still cool!) this weekend. Then summer's over and they're off to middle school, with boys, school dances, makeup, mean girls, and a few precious lasting friendships. I don't know if I'm ready to close the chapter yet, although my daughter can't wait!

Paper Mom said...

I forgot about mean girls... oh great! They may be ready but I am not sure we are....

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails